Amazon Releases Kindle App for Windows Phone 7
Yesterday Amazon announced they were going to release tablet-specific apps for Android and Windows tablets, and followed that up by officially releasing a new app for Windows Phone 7 today.
Details from the press release:
Customers can already read Kindle books on their Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, as well as their iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry and Android-based devices. Today, Amazon’s wide selection of free “Buy Once, Read Everywhere” Kindle apps is expanding to include Windows Phone 7 devices. Kindle for Windows Phone 7 is the first major eBook application available for Windows Phone 7, and includes new features built into a Kindle app for the first time, including personalized recommendations integrated into the Kindle app home screen and the ability to send book recommendations to a friend without leaving the app. Customers can learn more about Kindle for Windows Phone 7 at www.amazon.com/kindleforwindowsphone and can download the free app from Windows Phone Marketplace.
“With Kindle books you never have to worry about what to do if you change devices or platforms. Our free ‘Buy Once, Read Everywhere’ apps make it easy for you to read your books on any device you choose – your Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, Android-based device, and now your Windows Phone 7-based device,” said Dorothy Nicholls, Director, Amazon Kindle. “We think customers are going to love our new Kindle app on the unique interface of Windows Phone 7 and the convenience of our Whispersync technology, which saves and synchronizes your bookmarks, notes and highlights between all of your devices.”
With Kindle for Windows Phone 7, readers can take advantage of the following features:
- Seamless integration with Kindle, Amazon’s purpose-build reading device which is light weight, easy on the eyes with a paper-like Pearl e-ink display, and has a full month of battery life.
- Amazon’s Whispersync technology lets you read and sync your library, bookmarks, notes, and highlights with the devices and platforms of your choice (Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, Android-based devices, and Windows Phone 7-based devices). Read on your Kindle, read on your tablet, read on your phone. We’ll keep track of your last page read, and make it easy.
- Access to over 775,000 books in the U.S. Kindle Store – the largest selection of the most popular books that people want to read – including New Releases and 100 of this week’s 110 New York Times Bestsellers. Choose from hundreds of thousands of books at $9.99 or less, including many New York Times Bestsellers and New Releases.
- Kindle’s Worry-Free Archive automatically backs up your Kindle library on Amazon, so your books can be re-downloaded wirelessly anytime.
- Integrated shopping experience allows you to shop without leaving the app.
- Send an email to a friend with a link to the book you’re reading or to any book in your library without leaving the app.
- Customize your reading with five different font size and three background color options.
- Read in portrait or landscape mode, and to turn pages by tapping on either side of the screen or flicking.
- Start reading the beginning of a book for free before buying and receive personalized Amazon recommendations on the home screen of your app.