Kindle Fire vs Nook Color
This Kindle Fire vs Nook Color comparison pits the top two competing tablets with ereader roots against each other.
Since the Kindle Fire is still pending release on November 15th, this is an initial comparison of all the main features and specs. Check back in November for an in-depth comparison review and video review comparing the Kindle Fire vs Nook Color (by then there will probably be a new Nook Color to compare it to as well).
Kindle Fire vs Nook Color – Specs
|Kindle Fire||Nook Color|
|Reviews||pending||Nook Color Review|
|Screen||7″ IPS Vibrant Color, 16 million colors||7″ IPS LG VividView, 16 million colors|
|Resolution||1024 x 600||1024 x 600|
|Processor||1GHz dual-core TI OMAP4 processor||800MHz ARM Cortex A8, 1.2GHz with overclock hack|
|Operating System||Android 2.3||Android 2.2, others with root, ROMs|
|Storage||8GB, cloud storage, no memory card slot||8GB, microSD memory card slot for cards up to 32GB|
|Memory||512 MB RAM||512MB RAM|
|Apps||Amazon’s Appstore 16K+||Nook Apps 750+|
|Input/Output||USB 2.0 (micro-B connector), 3.5mm headphone jack, stereo speakers||B&N mini USB, 3.5mm headphone jack, 1 speaker|
|Audio and Video Support||Yes||Yes|
|Battery||7-8 hours||7-8 hours|
|Weight||14.6 oz||15.8 oz|
|Size||7.5″ x 4.7″ x 0.45″||8.1" x 5" x 0.48"|
|MSRP||$199 at Amazon||$249 new, $179 refurb at B&N|
It’s surprising just how similar the Kindle Fire and Nook Color are, especially since the Nook Color will be 1 year old when the Kindle Fire is released. While similar, each device has its own advantages over the other.
Kindle Fire Advantages
- Faster processor
- Lower Price
- More apps (stock)
- Amazon’s appstore gives away a free paid app each day, lots of games
- Stereo speakers
- Amazon Whispersync
- Cloud storage
- Amazon Silk web browser
- Free Month of Amazon Prime
- Lighter (1.2 ounces)
Nook Color Advantages
- MicroSD card slot (major advantage)
- Full Android tablet with ROMs and N2A cards while still preserving the Nook’s stock functionality
- Active hacking community, lots of mods
- Refurbished units sometimes drop to $149 or less
- Access to Barnes and Noble’s in-store exclusive content.
- Read ebooks for free while visiting B&N stores with B&N’s Read In Store feature (up to an hour per day).