JetBook Color to Release in January, First Color E Ink eReader
Color E Ink has been out for over a year now, and finally the first ebook reader to use color E Ink is about to arrive here in the United States.
I’ve posted about it before; the device is called the jetBook Color, and is aimed at the eduction market, not the ebook reader market. It is more of an educational tool designed for textbooks rather ebooks, but it will display ebooks as well.
The jetBook Color is available for pre-order from Ectaco.com for $499, and is expected to start shipping on January 15th, 2012. It is available worldwide.
That is going to be a tough sale at that price, but new technology is always more expensive than it should be. That’s the price you pay for being an early adopter. Unfortunately that means I won’t be buying one. But I requested a review unit and Ectaco said that they would lend me one, so check back soon. You can subscribe to The eBook Reader Blog to keep updated.
The jetBook Color is a 9.7″ ereader. It features an E Ink Triton display that uses the same exact technology ereaders like the Kindle and Sony ebook readers use, but it has a filter over the top that gives the screen the ability to display thousands of colors instead of just black and white.
There are a couple of videos showing the jetBook Color in action on this earlier post.
JetBook Color Specs and Features
- Triton Color E Ink screen
- 9.7″ Display
- 1600 x 1200 resolution
- Load Your Own Content
- Support for: Adobe DRM 9.1, ePub, Mobi, PRC, RTF, TXT, PDF, FB2, djvu, JPG, Gif, PNG, BMP (more to come)
- Wi-Fi enabled with browser
- Fluent Text-to-Speech can read you any book
- 10,000 page turns on a single charge
- Support via microSD for up to 32GB
- Sleek protective carrying case included
- Underline and highlight text
- 50-state reading list
- Fully interactive SAT course
- “Overdrive” library access
- Wireless access to online textbooks, www.ck12.org and other resources
- Speed Reading course
- Talking Oxford Dictionaries
- Course of English and foreign language grammar
- Speech recognition and speech analysis Language Teacher and U-Learn courses that teach you a language step by step
- Pictured dictionaries for 38 languages
- Cross translator for 180 languages
- Vocabulary Builder
- Linguistic Crosswords
- Reference materials for Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Earth Science
- Interactive Periodic Table of Elements
- Graphing and scientific calculators
- And much more!