Google Nexus 7 vs Hisense Sero 7 Pro Comparison Review (Video)
A few days ago I posted a review of a new 7 inch tablet called the Hisense Sero 7 Pro. I couldn’t help but keep comparing it to the Nexus 7 in much of the review because the two tablets are so much alike, so I thought I’d go ahead and put together this comparison review to list all the similarities and differences in one place.
First and foremost, the Nexus 7 is at the end of its shelf life as Google is expected to release an updated model at any time. But I decided to go ahead with this comparison anyway because I wouldn’t be surprised if Google keeps the original Nexus 7 around for awhile at a lower price (maybe $150) after they release the new model.
Nexus 7 vs Sero 7 Pro: Similarities
- Both tablets have 7-inch 1280×800 ISP screens.
- Operating systems are both Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, with full Google Play support.
- Both have 1.3 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processors.
- 1GB RAM.
- Bluetooth 3.0.
- NFC chips for transferring content by tapping device backs together.
- 3.5mm headphone jack, built in speakers, microphone.
- Similar 7-10 hour battery life.
- Micro USB port supports connecting peripherals such as keyboards.
- Similar AnTuTu benchmark rating of about 11850.
- Generally speaking the speed and overall operation of the two devices is about the same.
- Exact same selection of apps and content.
Nexus 7 Advantages
- Option for 4G mobile wireless through AT&T or T-Mobile.
- Much more accessible and easier to buy; the Sero 7 Pro only sells from Walmart stores and not anywhere online (at least not yet).
- More internal storage space: 16GB/32GB vs 8GB for the Sero.
- More up-to-date software (Android 4.2.2 instead of Android 4.2.1 on the Sero).
- The touchscreen supports 10 points of contact at once; the Hisense Sero 7 Pro supports 5.
- Slightly smaller and more compact design.
- Build quality feels a little more solid and the stippled textured on the back is nicer.
- Slightly lighter at 340 grams to the Sero’s 360 grams.
- Much more recognizable brand name.
Sero 7 Pro Advantages
- MicroSD card slot.
- Mini HDMI port for streaming content to a monitor or TV.
- Rear-facing 5MP camera with Flash.
- Sells for $149 from Walmart, that $50 less than the 16GB Nexus 7 and $100 less than the 32GB Nexus 7.
- Front camera is slightly improved with 2MP versus the Nexus’s 1.2MP camera.
- Screen colors and viewing angles appear slightly better (maybe it’s partially because my Nexus 7 is 1 year old and a lot more used).
- A couple of software tweaks include an on-screen button for screenshots and a power saving mode.
- Higher Quadrant benchmark score: 4086 vs 3542 for the Nexus 7.