8″ Cybook Ocean eReader Specs and Videos
Bookeen had their latest ebook reader, the Cybook Ocean, on display last weekend at the Paris Book Fair. The device showed up in a few YouTube videos and on some European blogs for the first time since it was announced last year.
The release of the Cybook Ocean has been delayed over the past few months, and now Bookeen is proud to show it off. And you can see why with its super-thin design and generous 8-inch display.
Bookeen set a tentative release date of sometime between mid-May and mid-June. The Ocean will sell for 179 euros. Like other Cybook ereaders, it will likely only be available for purchase in Europe. But you never know, it could be available for import in other parts of the world at some point.
What makes the Cybook Ocean interesting is the 8-inch 1024 x 768 resolution screen. Most ebook readers have 6″ screens, and even the slightly-larger Kobo Aura HD only has a 6.8″ screen. Devices with 8″ screens are much less common, even among tablets. There are a few ebook readers with 8-inch screens (a long time ago I reviewed the iRex DR-800 with the same size and resolution screen as the Cybook Ocean and the larger size was quite nice).
The second thing that makes the Cybook Ocean stand out it is how thin Bookeen managed to make it. The device is only 7mm thick, which is just over a quarter inch. That’s impressive. Even with the cover on it looks incredibly thin in the video below.
The Cybook Ocean has some other interesting features too, including a frontlight, memory card slot, and WiFi. Here’s the entire list of specs and features for the Cybook Ocean, followed by a couple of YouTube videos in French:
Cybook Ocean Specs and Features
- 8″ E-Paper Screen
- Resolution: 768 x 1024 px
- DPI: 160
- 16 greyscale levels
- Touchscreen: capacitive multi-touch
- CPU: Cortex A8 TIOMAP3611 (800 MHz)
- RAM: 128 Mo LP DDR
- Invisible light guide film
- Anti-glare treatment
- Touch & Frontlight interface management
- Battery: 2100 mAh
- Week of battery life (depends on Wi-Fi & FrontLight usage)
- “Flatview” design
- Dimensions: 196 mm x 150 mm x 7 mm.
- Weight: 300 g.
- Capacitive buttons for turning page & menu/FrontLight
- Storage: 4 Go iNAND approx 4000 ebooks
- Expansion slot: MicroSDHC up to 32 approx 32,000 eBooks
- MicroUSB 2.0 for transferring file and charging
- User interface available in 24 languages
- Web Browser WebKit Based
- OS: Linux 2.6.31
- Software features: Notes / search / bookmarks / highlights / line spacing / margin / dictionaries (depends on languages) / 20 font sizes / personalization screensaver mode / PDF management tool / classification folder and collection / over a hundred of books
- High Speed Ink System (HSIS)
- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)
- Supported ebook formats: ePub, PDF Adobe DRM, HTML, Txt, FB2, DJVU
- Picture formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, ICO, TIF, PSD