Kobo has released a new software update for their full line of Kobo ereaders. It’s been nearly three months since the last update so hopefully some of the bugs that were introduced last time have been fixed.
The new firmware version is 4.32.19501. There are a fair amount of changes and improvements with this update (see the release notes below).
Like usual, Kobo’s changelog only tells half the story. According to early reports at MobileRead, Kobo has also added some new font options with this update. You now have the advanced font control with sideloaded fonts, and there’s also the option to add a supplemental font now in case your main font is missing characters.
Kobo’s updates are rolled out in phases so you can either wait for the new firmware to automatically download and install at some point while syncing, which can sometimes take several weeks, or you can download the update and install in manually whenever you’d like.
The download links for each Kobo model can be found on the Kobo Firmware Downloads page.
Here’s the release notes for the 4.32.19501 firmware update:
Kobo Store Improvements
- eBooks in the store now include an estimate of how long they typically take to read. Tap on the Details tab to see word count, number of pages, and estimated reading time.
- You can now scroll the eBooks storefront to see books related to what you’ve recently read, new releases, and other featured lists.
- Your Wishlist is now more easily accessible from the Kobo Store homepage.
- New notebooks will use your most recent pen settings as default
- Selected blocks in the Advanced Notebook will show a menu with Convert/Edit, Copy, Paste and Delete options.
- The Basic Notebook now has an improved stylus response speed.
- Toolbar icons now show a selected circle to make it clearer when they are pressed.
- Better alignment for VIP price icons in the store.
- Highlights no longer disappear when editing a note.
- Enabled filtering of highlights and notes.
- Resolved a font rendering issue with sideloaded EPUBs that caused crashes.