With the Kobo Glo HD set to be released in a couple of days, Kobo has issued an update to officially add support for the Glo HD to Kobo’s software.
The new 3.15 software also applies to the original Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, and Kobo Aura H2O. Like usual, you can wait for the update to download and install automatically, or you can download it now from the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread and install it manually.
You wouldn’t know it from Kobo’s changelog because it doesn’t contain any useful information, but there are quite a few changes with the 3.15 software update.
One of the most notable changes is the fact that the Kobo Aura H2O has finally gotten support for pinch-zooming, so you no longer need to use the multi-touch patch to add it manually. Pinch-zooming works with PDFs, comics, and the web browser. Just make sure to turn off water detection for it to work. It still makes no sense that other Kobo devices don’t get pinch-zooming, though, but whatever.
Kobo doesn’t provide any information about the update, but Davidfor at MobileRead has posted notes from beta testing that includes several changes and bug fixes:
- Add support for Glo HD.
- Reviews changes:
- “Write a review” now on drop-down menu on book details page
- Review tab appears when there are reviews. Can take a few seconds to happen.
- If water detection is turned off, pinch and zoom in PDF and comic books work. H2O only.
- Chess removed from beta features
- No more Beyond the Book – except for related books.
- Bottom bar remembers what was last displayed when reopened.
- ISBN read for sideloaded epubs
- Revamped UI for the on-device store
- Improved EPUB compliance (this was from Kobo and I don’t know what it means)
- Changing WiFi network no longer prompts for network selection
- Reduced ghosting when panning in a PDF
- Selection handles could get cut off near the start/end/edges of pages
- A word selected near the top or bottom of the page did not always show the dictionary dialog
- Reduced double/missing page turns. And yes, it seems to be working.
- Aura H2O – a book would not always download immediately after purchase
- Show the Aura H2O water detection dialog less often for false-positives
- Less ghosting after changing font settings
- Various other bug fixes (Kobo didn’t specify)
After 3.15 update, I can’t disable pinch zooming at my Kobo Aura even after i uncheck the option at the setting. I want to disable it because it tend to mistakenly take my two-finger gesture, which is to change the brightness, for zooming. Can you help me with this?
Sorry, never heard of the issue so I can’t offer any advice. You might try posting your question at MobileRead. There are some smart people in the Kobo forum.
I too, it’s driving me crazy on my Kobo Aura! Accidental swipes are causing my book to zoom in or zoom out and it’s interrupting my reading workflow! I cannot find a discussion for this anywhere on the web, but I have messaged Kobo support. Hope they respond.
The same issue with pinch zooming Kobo Aura, anyone solve that problem ?
Me too. Since the update to 3.15 this issue drives me crazy. When I want to adjust brightness using two fingers, first of all it responds very slow to that. (In earlier versions it was fast). Besides that it thinks I’m trying to zoom even when I disabled that pinch-zoom. This is really annoying.
it’s the mistake of my life that i upgrade to 3.15 on my kobo aura , can i downgrade to the last version before that one ?
Checkout the direct links to Kobo Firmware thread at Mobileread. I’m not sure how to keep it from automatically updating but you can probably find something in the Kobo developers section over there.
I don’t know how it was before, I purchased my Aura 2 weeks ago, updated it to latest (.15 at time) available firmware.
Pinch zoom is unchecked, but it still does it and it drives me crazy.