Kobo has released another software update for their line of Kobo ereaders, and it’s available for all models dating back to the original Kobo Touch (except, as always, the neglected Kobo Mini).
I thought it would just be a minor update with the new Kobo Clara 2E getting released this week, but it’s a regular update that affects all models and it even adds a few new features.
The last update added a pinch-zooming gesture to adjust font size, and now this new update adds another handy gesture that lets you quickly access the last three recently read books by swiping down from the top of the screen.
They also added a couple of new font choices that were designed for digital reading, Rakuten Sans and Rakuten Serif. Support for three additional languages was added to the interface as well, Czech, Polish, and Romanian.
There’s also a new Recently Viewed list that shows ebooks you’ve recently viewed in the Kobo store. This can be disabled in settings.
The new software version is 4.34.20097. Like usual, Kobo’s updates are rolled out in phases so it might be a while before you receive the update automatically while syncing, but you can also update manually as well.
Here’s the full list of release notes for the 4.34.20097 update:
Switch between recent books easily
- Reading a few books at once? Swipe down while you’re reading to easily switch between your 3 most recently viewed items.
- Forgot which books you were considering in the store? Find them again in our new Recently Viewed list in Discover > eBooks.
- You can turn this option off by going to Settings > Energy saving and privacy > Turn off recently viewed
- Added language support for Czech, Polish, and Romanian
- Added new Rakuten Sans and Rakuten Serif fonts. Designed for digital reading, with respect for the print tradition.
- Added option to change time to 24-hour format in Settings > Date and Time.